Sunday, August 15, 2010

"Mom, we're SICK of McDonald's!"

It's every parent's dream, the day your kids decide they are so totally over Happy Meals, 10 packs of tacos, and endless flowing fountains of sugary soda.

I actually have kids who really enjoy veggies (really, almost to a fault). They want to eat in restaurants that offer them real choices. Not the standard chicken fingers or mini pizza that you can get at every restaurant, but real food like their parents are eating. I have kids who are truly experimental foodies. Now. This was not always the case. My nine year old ate nothing but chicken nuggets for two years. Now, when it comes to breakfast, it's frozen waffles every day. Sigh. At least we can get him to be more creative at dinnertime!

My oldest, who I am pretty sure will end up hosting a show on Food Network, is my true foodie kid. At age 9 he asked for a hot-air popcorn popper and a Belgian waffle iron. He recently tried sushi, and despite not liking the roll he tried, is insisting that he try other kinds. He will be my co-author on this blog.

We will be writing about restaurants in Upstate NY (and anywhere else we visit) and our aim is to find places that adults will frequent alone or with their kids, and everyone will be happy.

Why "Pretzels for Dessert"? My kids have interesting tastes. Oh sure, they'll have ice cream occasionally. But more often than not, when I ask them what they want for dessert, the answer is pretzels. Sometimes cucumbers. These boys are so not normal, I gotta tell you.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that the mac'n'cheese, fish-stick lovin kids I nannied for have become foodies! Awesome! I remember trying to convince Colin that broccoli was actually a food, but he was pretty sure I was tricking him into eating a tree and would have none of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yes, they LOVE veggies now. If I don't make a full two pounds of spinach with dinner (when spinach is on the menu), I am bound to hear about it for the rest of the night.

    ReplyDelete