Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cafe Dewitt

It would be silly for me to say that every restaurant we visit is my favorite, but this really ranks high on my list of local restaurants that you simply must try. The cafe is in the heart of the Dewitt Building that spans the block between Seneca and Buffalo Streets in Ithaca, and was at one time Ithaca High School. If you look closely, you can find the outside entrances marked "Girls" and "Boys".

One of the things I really like about Cafe Dewitt is the fresh ingredients they use. It really is true that you feel better when you eat well, and I always feel good when I've had a meal here.

They are quite well known for their breakfasts, and if you have ever attempted their Sunday brunch you know all too well how popular they are. Saturday is a great day to have brunch there, as it is a tad easier to find a table.

We went on a Saturday morning recently, and it was the first time my older two boys had eaten there. They were thrilled to find Belgian Waffles on the menu, which they ordered plain although generally they are served with seasonal fruit and Chantilly cream. The waffles were bigger than their heads, which of course pleased the boys to no end.
Colin's thoughts: They were extremely large, very filling, the maple syrup was very good.
Ian's thoughts: "The Belgian Waffles there are great, and they taste similar to the ones at the Farmer's Market."

My mom and I had the Eggs Benedict, and really I must say that these 'Eggs Benny' (what I call them simply because I am too lazy to say Benedict) have spoiled me for ordering them anywhere else. Why? Because the hollandaise sauce is made from scratch, whereas many restaurants make their sauce from a powder. Ick. In addition to wonderfully fresh ingredients, the eggs and ham are served over sourdough bread instead of an English Muffin. This makes an enormous difference in terms of flavor.

I, for one, was thrilled six ways from Sunday when Colin ordered a coffee. The waitress graciously brought one which was half-caf, but ultimately he decided that iced coffee is really more his thing. What a proud moment for this coffee drinkin' momma, regardless.

If you go during the week and can't decide between a sandwich or a salad, try the Caesar Salad Sandwich. Quite literally a combination of a Caesar Salad and a sandwich. It's my favorite lunch there!

The waitstaff is remarkable, the desserts are so delicious they should be illegal in 49 states, and the kids are always entertained by the wall of fish tanks. Frankly, for a fresh meal that is made by someone who is clearly passionate about making delicious food, Cafe Dewitt is a fabulous place to eat. And, if you are like me and my mom, you will run into no fewer than five people you know as they make their way through the Dewitt Mall!

For a look at their entire menu, go to: http://www.cafedewitt.com/

Please note that they have different menus for weekdays and weekends, and there are daily specials. I have never tried something that I didn't like, and will likely post again after another visit.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review! I have not eaten here but I should take my Mom for lunch. She actually went to school there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. Now I want a Belgian waffle, Eggs Benedict (homemade hollandaise? sourdough toast? Sign. Me. Up.), a Caesar sandwich, and coffee. All covered in Chantilly cream.

    I'm not even going to torture myself by looking at that menu. Not until I have definite plans to go to Ithaca!

    ReplyDelete